Find a representative

THE AWV STORY

In 1904 American Warming and Ventilating was created as a division of American Furnace and Foundry Company in Bloomington, Indiana. The company began as a regional contractor that installed gravity heating systems.

Today, architects, mechanical engineers, contractors and facility owners rely on American Warming and Ventilating to meet their ever-changing damper and louver designs and cost requirements through product innovation and technological advancement.

Our headquarters, located at 7301 International Drive in Holland Ohio, is the central hub, but our vast representative base throughout the nation is available to help you find the right product for your project.

1904


AWV FOUNDED

American Warming and Ventilating was created as a division of American Furnace and Foundry Company in Bloomington, Indiana. The company began as a regional contractor that installed gravity heating systems.
MOVED TO TOLEDO

AWV was still a contractor in the mid 1940's when the development of forced warm air heating systems dictated a change in direction. This change was bought about when Fred A. Merry bought AWV and diversified the company's manufacturing to include air control equipment. Furnace contracting was gradually phased out and full emphasis was placed on the design and manufacture of louvers, dampers, and shutters. Merry moved the company to Toledo, Ohio.

1940's


1954


Expansion

The company again changed hands. Under the direction of E.H. Johnson, AWV's sales increased by 800% over the next 14 years. During this time, lasting relationships were established. In 1962, manufacturing was transferred to two new facilities in Ohio and Michigan.
First Drainable Blade Louver

In 1963, AWV patented the first Drainable Blade Louver.

1963


1968


INTERNATIONAL REPRESENTATION

AWV became a wholly owned subsidiary of ENTELCO. Extensive representation was built throughout the US, and in Canada, Spain, Puerto Rico and South Africa.
BRADNER BEGINS TESTING

AWV's 5,000 square foot AMCA-certified testing facility was completed at the Bradner, Ohio plant. This facility exceeds standards set by AMCA. AWV also took a leading role in the establishment of AMCA Division Five (louver, damper and shutter group).

1978


1980


MOVING TO MAUMEE

AWV's headquarters moved from downtown Toledo, Ohio to brand new office facilities in Maumee, Ohio. After assembling one of the finest design engineering groups in the industry, AWV enjoyed record growth during this period. The product line expanded to include custom air control equipment used in multiple fields like adjustable louvers and isolation dampers. The products are used in commercial and industrial construction, fossil and nuclear power generation facilities, institutional and health care units, and educational buildings.
Pittsburg Steel

AWV manufactures a 14 ft. x 15 ft. guillotine damper for Pittsburg Steel.

1981


1986


PAINT ROOM ADDITION

AWV's manufacturing plant in Bradner, Ohio expands with the addition of an in-house paint room.
JOINING MESTEK

AWV became one of five independently operating companies acquired by Mestek, Inc. These companies manufacture standard and custom adjustable louvers and isolation dampers to satisfy most every need for intake control, light and heavy duty industrial applications, and sophisticated fire/smoke control.

1987


1990


MORE R&D

AWV received a patent for the first Sightproof-Drainable blade louver.
Manufacturing Expansion

AWV's manufacturing facility located in Bradner, Ohio opens a 50,000+ sq. ft. expansion.

2007


TODAY



We're looking forward to the next 100 years and new designs as we lead the industry into the 21st century .